Thursday 14 November 2013

Metal Zipper

I have now completed the flight metal on the tail section of the Zipper. While waiting for the light lens to arrive from Alex in the UK I decided to get the tail hook done and also to start on the drag chute compartment and mechanism.



Also at this time I need to identify the panels on the tail section that were titanium. Fortunately I got the name of Steve Pagot in Winnipeg who is restoring an F-104 for the Canadian Starfighter Museum. Here is a link to the site. http://www.canadianstarfightermuseum.ca/museum-news.php

If you click on museum news you will see their progress on #703. Steve was able to identify these panels for me and is a wealth of knowledge on the F-104. I know I will be talking to him again throughout this build.

I have decided to build this model as # 703 one of the first five F-104 built in Canada  (Straight flush) and the first to be test flown in this country. 


This plane has Canadian significance and I would like to honour all the pilots and crews that are in the association with this particular aircraft. More on the history of 104703 later.

F-104 utilized a tail hook “just in case” as well as a drag chute. I did not have very clear pictures of this area so I improvised a bit.




As mentioned there are a few titanium panels on the F-104 as well as a stainless steel panel. I must treat these different from the aluminum. The stainless was highly polished so that one is easy. What I will do at some point is clear coat it so that the aluminum (stainless steel) will not tarnish in this area leaving the rest of the aluminum to weather as per the full size. The titanium will need to be tinted a darker greyish black to simulate the real metal. To do this I will take some steel wool and carefully brush the surface in two different directions prior to the tinting. This will help the colour adhere and more importantly take away some of the reflective properties of the flight metal. I will use a practice sheet to see if I can get it right first of course.


I have got a chute on order and until it comes in I cannot move forward with the containment box as I need to know the size of the chute folded up. Lots more to do in the meantime.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jack, she is coming along really great. Can't wait to see and hear it spool up for the first time.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete