Saturday 15 March 2014

Canopy Installation



While I am waiting for the nomenclature to arrive I have decided to start on the modifications to the canopy to make it functional and scale as well. First I needed to cut the forward part off the aft part. A fine Zona saw does this nicely if you take your time. I have masked the Plexiglas to protect it from me! LOL



The real canopy used a type of, for lack of better word, piano hinge. This is easy as far as  hinging goes and I happen to have a nice little piano hinge to do this.



I have decided to use a simple piano wire (in keeping with the piano theme) to lock the canopy in place. Instead of being pneumatically operated it will just be manual like the real F-104.





Since the full scale canopy was not hydraulically operated but operated by a strong arm, I will do likewise. OK, maybe not a strong arm in my case but strong fingers. :-)




Satisfied with the operation of the hinge I needed to cut off the extra material on the flange or return lip that is on the canopy and frame from ½ “ inch to about ¼ “and the same around the forward wind screen lip. To support the canopy I needed to make a canopy frame that is the same as the full size one used.



I will try to copy it as close as possible by using brass tubes soldiered together and bonded to the canopy. Once I have installed this I will mask the Plexiglas and paint the whole thing flat black.




Here's a picture of the instrument panel that I am going to install. More details added to this F-104 but it will be worth it in the long run. Check out the video below too!



No comments:

Post a Comment